Sunday, July 31, 2011

My new Toshiba Thrive Android tablet

I now own an Android tablet, a Toshiba Thrive to be precise. I've used an iPad 1 before, but this is my first Android tablet. There are some things I really like about it, such as the maps and turn-by-turn navigation (even though this is just a WiFi model). However, there are a couple of things that I don't like at all.

The first big problem is the not-waking-from-sleep problem, that appears to afflict many Thrives. Lots of complaints voiced online, no solutions from Toshiba, yet. Very surprising since it's a basic function that really ought to work if you're going to ship the product. The latest news is that an update will push out next week to fix this. Let's hope so.

The bigger problem, from my point of view at least, is that I cannot easily get it to talk to my Android development environment on Windows XP. And here's where I'm starting to worry: I found a little tidbit of information on the Toshiba site http://tabletsupport.toshiba.com/ that said Toshiba does not support the SDK and doesn't plan to. Uh oh. I'm scouring the web for helpful tips and think I may have found a few. Also, I have Ubuntu and MacOS here at the house so might be able to get it working with a different computer.

More news later...

1 comment:

  1. I see the superlative contents on your blogs and I perfectly enjoy going through them.
    google android news

    ReplyDelete